Seventeen Mile Rocks
Seventeen Mile Rocks, a rural and industrial area until the mid-1970s, is now a thriving residential suburb on the Brisbane River. Located 17 nautical miles rom the mouth, it was the last of the Centenary Suburbs to be developed. The rocks in the Brisbane River formed a blockage to boats and in 1862 they were partly removed. In 1959 land subdivisions began for the Centenary suburbs of Jindalee, Jamboree Heights etc. Hercules Sinnamon, a landowner east of the Centenary Highway held out, wanting to keep his land rural, largely succeeding until the 1980s. The Jindalee primary school took children away from the Rocks school (1868) which closed in 1966. The most significant development was the Sinnamon Retirement Village (1977), a Methodist project just east of the Centenary Highway. Jennings and Hooker residential estates followed in the 1980s, the former being named Sinnamon Park. A Sinnamon Park Progress Association was formed and lobbied for the creation of a new suburb. Eventually Sinnamon Park was detached from Seventeen Mile Rocks in 1989.
During 1991-2001 the population of Seventeen Mile Rocks and Sinnamon Park grew by 145% to 6725. Most of the growth was in Seventeen Mile Rocks. The Edenbrook Drive estate, in both suburbs, was a much sought-after area in 2001, with nearly a quarter of the area being reserved as bushland open space.
In 2009, the population of Seventeen Mile Rocks was made up of 35-44 year olds, and their children aged 0-14 years.